Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest] Impressive demonstration of one dB of signa

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest] Impressive demonstration of one dB of signal strength improvement
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 11:42:49 -0700

I have no data that would support the 6%/dB rule of thumb, but I absolutely agree with the slides in your presentation, Doug.

For many years I was constrained to simple vertical antennas due to neighborhood sensitivities at my Scottsdale QTH, but adding a used Henry 2K-4 I bought for $600 (i.e., about $60 per db) made all the difference in the world for contest scores and general DXing.  The downside, of course, is that an amplifier puts you in a higher category so competitively you don't gain much, but actually being able to work people is a lot more fun.

The old adage that you should always put your money into your antenna first doesn't really hold water once you get above a pretty simple setup, as your slides show.   Above about 5 or 6 db, getting additional signal strength from a tower and antenna is probably the LEAST cost effective path on a dollar per dB basis.  My comparatively simple setup (OB16-3 and OB2-40 on a 70 foot AN Wireless HD-70 tower) at my current QTH cost me well over $1,000 per dB (possibly pushing twice that) compared to the simple dipoles I previously had strung from a 55 foot length of guyed 4" irrigation tubing.  That being said, it does make you more competitive for contesting since by itself it doesn't bump you into a high power category

Lastly, I didn't move to this hillside QTH purely for its usefulness as a ham radio location, but it truly does make a difference.  Check out my HFTA terrain files at http://www.ab7e.com/HFTA/AB7E_HFTA.html  ; On 20m through 10m my major lobes are 4 degrees or less.  Too bad I'm not a better operator to make good use of it ...

73,
Dave   AB7E