CT-User

CT8.52 Observations

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: CT8.52 Observations
From: 72240.1433@CompuServe.COM (Robert E.Naumann)
Date: 07 Mar 94 09:23:29 EST
At N2RM we run a variety of computers from 286's to 486's.  On the 286's we
use CT286 version 8.45
so that we can disable the Check Partial window.  After a 1000 qsos or so
with check partial enabled, they really bog down and really become unusable
with a few thousand because of this.  On the 386 and 486 machines, we are
now using CT386 version 8.52 and overall it was pretty good.  The resized
partial and check call/country wondows are great!(tnx LPL in 8.49).  We did
not experience any unusual occurences like lock-ups or anything like that.
We did get a couple of "Bad Checksum" errors which I attribute to the 286
machines not being able to handle the data fast enough.  The display of
these errors only appeared on the 286 machines.

We are only using radio control on one of the radios which happens to be my
940 on 15 meters.  The ability to utilize packet spots worked well this
time (it did not with 8.49).  I did notice a couple of quirks in the radio
control.  It would not change the "run" frequency from what was the initial
run frequency we were on. So after going to a packet spot, after changing
run frequency, it would not return to where we were.( Yes, I hit "steal
frequency" first).  It would keep returning to our "first" run frequency.
Also, when entering a frequency on the callsign field, the radio would
switch to 1mhz LSB and would display some ASCII graphics characters in the
callsign field.   Also, when attempting to use Alt-F3 to spot something, it
always would come up with that "run" frequency.  I had to type in the whole
spot manually.

I tried to get the Multi.CFG file working with our setup of 9 computers but
I kept getting memory conflict errors and gave up.   I was able to get it
working with 2 computers(386 and a 486) but adding
the third (a 286) got errors again.   It seemed when testing the 2
computers I had to include a listing for a #1 computer even though the 2
computers involved were # 2 and #3.  Without the #1 in the list, I got the
memory conflict error.  With 9 computers, we use "gab" a lot and sure would
like to be able to use this feature.  Since I wasn't sure about it, I
decided not to keep trying and taking a chance of causing a problem during
the contest.

Wish list:
We (the N2RM operators) would like to be able to "log" all of the gab and
packet stuff to a file.  Some really great stuff happens and it's all
forgotten.
Computer specific gab would really be great - that is being able to gab to
only one of the computers instead of "broadcasting".
Keeping some number of packet spots( 10 or 20? )  in a buffer seperate from
the "announcements" window would be great.  Sometimes you see something and
look away and it's gone!  We were issuing a lot of  sh/d/1 15 commands to
the packet cluster to recall what had just rolled off the top of the
window.

Overall, I'd say that I would not be contesting without CT.  Yesterday, I
was recalling what it was like doing Multi-Multi with paper logs.  It was
awful - the handwriting, the dupe sheets, after the contest checking,the
mess etc.  I am very thankful that we don't have to do that any more!

73,
Bob Naumann  KR2J
72240.1433@CompuServe.com