CT-User

CT 9.20 in ARRL DX

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: CT 9.20 in ARRL DX
From: reisert@wrksys.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert AD1C 20-Feb-1995 1511)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 15:08:33 -0500
CT worked great this weekend.  Here are the things I noticed:

1.  Packet TALK and ANNOUNCE messages didn't appear at the bottom of the
    screen as usual.  Maybe it's something specific to Single-op assisted.
    Matt wondered why I wasn't responding to him when he tried to talk to me
    from the other computer.  Well it did have one benefit - I could shut
    off John's OJ jokes by turning the packet window off, since that was the
    only way to see those messages.

2.  The TS940 (RADIO2) locked up once or twice, but it wasn't the radio.
    What happened was that frequency information stopped flowing into CT.
    Spinning the dial and switching VFOs didn't do a thing to unlock it.
    Quitting CT and restarting fixed it.  I did not try power cycling the
    radio or the serial interface.

3.  Once I noticed that the band map had a bunch of duplicate information at
    the end.  I.e. it went from 21000 to 21040, with a spot on 21300, then
    started again around 21025.  I didn't keep tuning up to see if I could
    get the light bar to go past the .300 spot and into the next group of
    duplicate spots.

4.  Only crash I remember was after recovering from #3 above, I did a
    SH/DX/100 and the program crashed with some sort of fault.  Could it be
    because the data came in too fast, or there was too much of it at once?
    I tried SH/D/50 instead and that worked fine.  I was tied into the
    packet computer directly on a 9600 baud link.

Here are a couple of new features I would like to see:

1.  I like the two radio support.  It would be real nice to have "CW1" and
    "CW2" for keying each radio with a separate CW port.  That way switching
    the radios with ALT-.  would switch the key as well.  Or maybe there is
    a 2nd CW output that I don't know about.  There is even room on the
    setup screen for a second CW port entry! Maybe you can send a list of
    all the LPT pins and what each one does - I could upload the file to the
    CT-USER file archives.

2.  Another nice feature would be a form of the ANNOUNCE window which showed
    mults needed on ALL BANDS, and QSOs needed THIS BAND ONLY.  This would
    be ideal for Single-op Assisted, or M/S when there is only one radio or
    one operator.  I had to set the window to QSOs NEEDED ALL BANDS, but of
    course it filled up with a lot of spots from other bands, and some spots
    from the current band fell off the top.

73 - Jim AD1C
reisert@eng.pko.dec.com

--