CT-User

LPT pinouts

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: LPT pinouts
From: jholly@hposl62.cup.hp.com (Jim Hollenback)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 09:40:45 -0800
On Nov 4, 10:59am, Ken Wolff wrote:
> Subject: LPT pinouts
>
>             Proposed pin assignments for V9.27
>

> -----------------------  LPT1
>
> Antenna switch data:    2, 7, 8, 9        Top Ten Devices
> Antenna switch strobe:  14
>
> CW Keying:              1
> CW Pullup:              17
>
> DVK F1-F4:              3, 4, 5, 6
> Radio1/Radio2 control:  16
>

> -----------------------  LPT2
>
> Antenna switch data:    2, 7, 8, 9        for second radio
> Antenna switch strobe:  14
>
> Split headset bit:      16                set and cleared with ALT-? to
>                                           control headset audio per AB6FO
>
> CW PTT:                 1                 to avoid relay chatter
>
> Escape bit for DVK:     17                pulsed low to halt DVK

My proposal ... it maintains most of what was in previous releases, changes
the new pins around to put all the DVK together on one plug. It will
require a trace cut and jumper on the W9XT card.

-------- LPT1 -------------

Antenna switch data:     2,7,8,9            Top Ten Devices
Antenna switch strobe:   14

Radio1/Radio2            16

CW PTT                   1

Split headset bit        17                 AB6FO hearing control

-------- LPT2 ------------------

Antenna Switch data:      2,7,8,9
Antenna switch strobe:    14

DVK F1-F4                 3,4,5,6  < changed from LPT1, but I always ran on
                                   < LPT2

DVK escape                16

CW Key                    1         < Changed, shown as LPT1 on 9.26 but I ran
CW Pullup                 17        < my CW from LPT2. I'm confused on this
one.

This does put the DVK on LPT2, but for those of us that share the computer
between ham radio and other uses, having the DVK on LPT2 is a better choice
because some of the DOS programs are pig-headed about the printer being
on LPT1. It would mean constantly taking the computer apart to change the
hardware configuration. Less of a hassle with windows. This also puts the
DVK and CW keying pins together on one port. This is better for the W9XT
card and outboard boxes ... only one cable to make it work.

The surgery required on the W9XT card is to cut the trace on U2 pin 14,
the ABORT input to CTLGAL, and run a jumper from U10 pin 7 to U2 pin 14.
This then changes the ABORT signal from pin 2 to pin 16.

What say Ken?

73, Jim, WA6SDM
jholly@cup.hp.com

WWW:                      http://ve7tcp.ampr.org/Lists/ct-user.html