CT-User

[ct-user] Upgrade computer strategy

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Upgrade computer strategy
From: k8dd at arrl.net (Hank Kohl K8DD)
Date: Wed Aug 6 00:58:19 2003
At 8/5/2003 08:56 PM -0400, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

>At 04:14 PM 8/5/2003, Jim White, K4OJ asked:
>
>>is it possible to have some of the computers in a network running CT-DOS
>>and others running CT-WIN and they can still communicate with one another?
>
>K1KI says YES. K1TTT says YES if you use his NETTSR.  I don't know if they
>posted their responses to the reflector, I've been having incoming E-mail
>problems all day.
>
>73 - Jim AD1C

Had it working with changes to NETTSR.  CT-DOS uses a different port than
CT-Win.  Think I remember confirming the port numbers with network sniffer
last year.
Dug back through the archived ct-user file and found the following from K1TTT:

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 11:48:39 -0000

Ok, it does seem to work. There are two things to watch out for.
First in starting ctwin the shortcut must look like this if you install
in the default location:
"G:\Program Files\K1EA Software\CtWin\ctwin.exe" -enet
note that -enet comes outside the quotes. This is a windows thing
because the path has spaces in it.
In starting nettsr use a command line like:
Nettsr 192.168.0.80 100 0.0.0.0 3030 255.255.255.255
The parameters are:
192.168.0.80 = the ip address for the dos machine, this must be
different for each machine on the network of course.
100 = default sw interrupt to emulate comtsr4
0.0.0.0 = broadcast mask. Will actually be ignored in this setup
3030 = port used by ctwin with -enet for networking
255.255.255.255 = broadcast address used by ctwin for networking

I believe CT DOS uses port 9870.  You can change the CT DOS port but not
the CTWin port.
However if 3030 doesn't work try 5050 .... I thought I used port 5050 to
make WinTelnetX talk to CTWin last year at CQ WW SSB ....

And, yes .... they should all be the same version.  And back under 9.87 or
so CTWin would work just fine with Windows 95B .... with an update ....
haven't tried any of the 9.90 versions with 95.

I used Partition Magic on my XP Pro laptop to make a 700 MB FAT partition
for CT-DOS, NA and a couple of old programs that don't want to ever run out
of Windows.  Then I boot from a CD (or a floppy), it goes right into DOS
and to what it thinks is the C: drive (FAT partition).

73    Hank    K8DD