CT-User

Re: [ct-user] (no subject)

To: "CT Reflector" <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] (no subject)
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 03:17:46 -0700
I have to agree with 9A5CW.  As a loyal CT user for at least 20 years, I
finally moved to Win-Test earlier this year, and I bet K1EA himself will
eventually do the same.

Unfortunately, Win-Test alone won't solve NT3G's keying problem.

If you're on Windows 2000 or greater, you're going to need a computer with a
parallel port (a traditional printer port) if you want to send CW with
CTWin.  If you have a laptop, maybe all you need is the matching "docking
station" or "port replicator," as that will usually provide the parallel
port you're missing (LPT1:).

Without a parallel port, your only option, short of finding a way to boot
DOS, is to buy a WinKey device and move on to new software, such as
Win-Test.

IMHO, Win-Test is CT for Windows, done right, with lots of extra features.
By Windows I mean only Windows 2000, XP, or Vista.  See
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4491 for other opinions.

Win-Test looks and behaves like CT and uses many of the same files (CTY.DAT,
MASTER.DTA), but it is a full graphical Windows application that is being
actively supported.

The Win-Test default keys are 95% the same as CT (e.g. F1, Insert, Plus), so
the transition to Win-Test for a CT user is really straightforward.
Win-Test even has a DEFINEKEYS command (like CT's DEFINEKEY), so that you
can remap the keyboard to your liking.

Win-Test has many features never implemented by CT or CTWin, such as sound
card support, new rig support, name databases, advanced graphical band maps,
and a "Smart Correct" feature (like CORRECT in CT, but it sends only what
needs to be sent, rather than the complete callsign).

In my view, Win-Test is currently missing only two major CT features:  keyer
paddle support and support for the California QSO Party (I've asked, maybe
it will happen soon).

Code quality is very high.  It has never locked up or crashed on me during
any contest.  All software has *some* bugs, but the the Win-Test people are
very responsive.  They really fix bugs fast.

If you have a parallel port, Win-Test (and CTWin) will key perfect CW under
Windows with your old CT keying circuit, without requiring any external
hardware.  But unlike CT, Win-Test also supports the MicroHam and WinKey /
EZMaster USB keyers, all options worth considering.

73,
Bob, N6TV
2007 CQP County Coordinator
http://www.cqp.org