CT-User

Re: [ct-user] (no subject)

To: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] (no subject)
From: "Patrick 9A5CW" <pat.9a5cw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:39:30 +0200
Hello,
glad to see that more people switching to WT :)
About usb -> COM interfaces, i am using 2 of them, some chinese factory
without a label.
Both of them keying without a problem my radios and also use them for
radio-control under WIN XP.
Never tried USB2LPT, saw once, but without 25pin conn. with centronics at
the end.

If i buy a new desktop PC i always look to have LPT port and a single COM on
the mother board, and for notebooks its enough LPT port.

In 1992 i started contesting with CT and used till 2006, 2006 during CQWW
SSB we (9a1p) switched to Win-test.

In the past on this reflector where more people asking for some CT support,
after April 2007 only few asked.
I think a lot of people switched to other software.

73, Patrik 9A5CW

p.s. saw somewhere that Ken K1EA worked with WT during CQWW 2006 ;)

On 8/9/07, Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv@arrl.net> wrote:

> I have to agree with 9A5CW.  As a loyal CT user for at least 20 years, I
> finally moved to Win-Test earlier this year, and I bet K1EA himself will
> eventually do the same.
>
> Unfortunately, Win-Test alone won't solve NT3G's keying problem.
>
> If you're on Windows 2000 or greater, you're going to need a computer with
> parallel port (a traditional printer port) if you want to send CW with
> CTWin.  If you have a laptop, maybe all you need is the matching "docking
> station" or "port replicator," as that will usually provide the parallel
> port you're missing (LPT1:).
>
> Without a parallel port, your only option, short of finding a way to boot
> DOS, is to buy a WinKey device and move on to new software, such as
> Win-Test.
>
> IMHO, Win-Test is CT for Windows, done right, with lots of extra features.
> By Windows I mean only Windows 2000, XP, or Vista.  See
> http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4491 for other opinions.
>
> Win-Test looks and behaves like CT and uses many of the same files (
> CTY.DAT,
> MASTER.DTA), but it is a full graphical Windows application that is being
> actively supported.
>
> The Win-Test default keys are 95% the same as CT (e.g. F1, Insert, Plus),
> so
> the transition to Win-Test for a CT user is really straightforward.
> Win-Test even has a DEFINEKEYS command (like CT's DEFINEKEY), so that you
> can remap the keyboard to your liking.
>
> Win-Test has many features never implemented by CT or CTWin, such as sound
> card support, new rig support, name databases, advanced graphical band
> maps,
> and a "Smart Correct" feature (like CORRECT in CT, but it sends only what
> needs to be sent, rather than the complete callsign).
>
> In my view, Win-Test is currently missing only two major CT
> features:  keyer
> paddle support and support for the California QSO Party (I've asked, maybe
> it will happen soon).
>
> Code quality is very high.  It has never locked up or crashed on me during
> any contest.  All software has *some* bugs, but the the Win-Test people
> are
> very responsive.  They really fix bugs fast.
>
> If you have a parallel port, Win-Test (and CTWin) will key perfect CW
> under
> Windows with your old CT keying circuit, without requiring any external
> hardware.  But unlike CT, Win-Test also supports the MicroHam and WinKey /
> EZMaster USB keyers, all options worth considering.
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV
> 2007 CQP County Coordinator
> http://www.cqp.org