RE: [Karlnet] Answers to Questions about UBICOM devices

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Answers to Questions about UBICOM devices
From: "Kevin Knuth" <kknuth@karlnet.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 15:39:43 -0500
Bob,

The "exposure" as I understand it is that it would be possible for our code
to be hacked!  This has happened in the past in China and Russia.  That is
why we went to the version 4.0 keying scheme.  We have been told that 10% of
the WLAN software used by CHINA MOBILE is Karlnet TurboCell....that they
bought from hackers!  Karlnet did not get a single dime from any of that!

So there is a concern that we NOT set ourselves up for that again!

Bottom line- you HAVE to have a special cable to load these devices, and
those with that cable COULD see our code.  That is an issue.  However,
UBICOM and Karlnet are working on solutions around that problem.

We do understand the need for a sub $300 device.  It is what we are striving
for.

Kevin