RE: [Karlnet] Answers to Questions about UBICOM devices

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Answers to Questions about UBICOM devices
From: "Eden Akhavi" <eden.akhavi@ltt.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:39:35 +0200
> Bottom line- you HAVE to have a special cable to load these
> devices, and
> those with that cable COULD see our code.  That is an issue.  However,
> UBICOM and Karlnet are working on solutions around that problem.

The cable is not really a problem - its just a DB25, some discrete
components and IDC connector. The problem that we have come across is
licensing a flash loader for our customers. Ubicom's flash loader is not
distributable; and from what I understand is not well documented.

The second problem is not all Ubicom 2022 based products are implemented
in the same way - different manufacturers use different pin outs even on
the same product (different revision). So whilst one device may use
serialiser 1 for the PCMCIA interface; others use serialiser 2; so you
need many different s/w releases.

> We do understand the need for a sub $300 device.  It is what
> we are striving for.

What would this $200-300 device have on it - would this just be the
board and wireless card; or would this be for the housing, antenna and
pigtail?

Also what would demand be like for this sort of product?

Regards

Eden