RFI

[RFI] 1-way telephone interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 1-way telephone interference
From: Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare,Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 08:46:57 -0500
Yes, it is possible for RF to get into the audio section of your telephone
without getting into the outgoing audio.

The cure would be the same as any other type of telephone interference --
keep the RF out of your phone with common-mode chokes.  You can either use
the filters sold by Radio Shack (manufactured by K Com) or can use external
ferrites. (F-140-43 probably a good choice -- try about 10 turns).  You may
have to filter the line, the handset and any power-supply connection to the
phone.

General info about telephone RFI is found at:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfitel.html

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Supervisor