RFI

[RFI] Touch Light Update #3

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Touch Light Update #3
From: EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:01:27 -0500

        Have you tried a "micro" Henry choke on the sense line?  Something
from 1-10 micro Henries is what is recommended.  I don't think the resistor
is really needed since this is a very low current application (high current
would be bad for the human contact!).  This is a very small inductance
(don't use the Radio Shack 100milliH choke!) and should not be much
reactance to the free running oscillator's sense line.

        Assuming the oscillator is around 170 Khz like most touch lamps (see
if you can find out), that would be only 11 ohms inductive reactance (for 10
microH) while providing 880 ohms at 14 Mhz; a factor of 80.  Don't use 10
milliH since the inductive reactance to the sensing circuit at 170Khz would
be almost 11Kohm and probably would shut it down.  If 10 microH is too much
try 1 microH.  That'd be only 1.1 ohms at 170Khz (assuming that is the
oscillator's freq!?).  It may take experimenting with several values to get
it close.  Also mount the inductor as close as possible to the circuit.

> So far, I have found no good way to RF bypass the sensing line.  What I
> want
> to do is basically shunt all HF energy to ground on that line, but I can't
> load down the line otherwise the sensing circuitry won't help.

        Perhaps you could use a capacitor to pass the 14Mhz on the hood to
ground while, at the right value could look like a higher reactance to the
sensing line's capacitance.  Cap of 0.01 microF would give 1.1 ohms at 14
Mhz & 93 ohms at 170Khz.  So connect the cap to the hood somewhere or at a
couple of places, then gorund the other end of the cap(s).

        The problem is that the sensing line is operating on a
"Change-of-Capacitance" to change the operating state.  The 14Mhz bypass to
ground might desense the "sensing line" enough to kill it.  I think that's
what you've found already.  So we're back to getting the RF choke right.
This all depends alot on the free running oscillator's operating frequency.
Is it spec'ed anywhere?

        73,
        de ed -K0iL

--