RFI

[RFI] Nutone Intercom RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Nutone Intercom RFI
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson guest account)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:48:48 -0700 (MST)
Hi Tim,

The doorbell module interface may not be the actual RFI victim in
this case.  But it may very well be the thing that improves the
coupling of the RF to the real victim enough to generate the
problem.  In a case like this I would suggest common mode chokes
on all interface wiring to the Nutone Main Unit.  These chokes
should be on _ALL_ of the wires going into and coming out of the
unit.  Power, speakers, aux inputs, etc.  0.01 or 0.005 uF caps
across all the remote speaker I/O terminals may help but will
probably not be necessary if you can stop the unit from being a
high current RF node.  A 0.01 uF to chassis from each AC power
lead (right at or inside the unit) in conjunction with the common
mode powerline choke may also be helpful.  Be sure to use caps
rated for use across the AC line.

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <rfi@contesting.com>