RFI

Re: [RFI] BPL a major topic at Upcoming UTC Annual Meeting

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL a major topic at Upcoming UTC Annual Meeting
From: doc <kd4e@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:27:38 -0400
Any chance they will be demo'ing BPL there?

Perhaps some KW ops and high-power mobiles in the area might
stage a "Just Say No to BPL" Contest" May 16-18?

Everything Completely Legal, base KW & 500W+ mobile stations
located within a mile of the Meeting just happen to get a 10x multiplier!

Let's see 'em filter that out!

All contesters must subscribe to a No-BPL list and go silent
as instructed by the contest controllers from time to time --
long enough to take readings of BPL-generated interference ...
if they have the guts to fire up a true demo!

I daresay they will not dare to set up a "typical" BPL
system and subject it to open tests before the attendees,
ARRL, and FCC.

Giggle ... doc

BobK8IA@aol.com wrote:
(UTC is the energy utility trade association)

I just saw a copy of the scheduled symposiums, sessions etc at the upcoming UTC 2004 Annual Meeting. It is scheduled for Nashville, TN, May16-18, at the Gaylord Opryland Resort adn Covention Center.Some shocking things re BPL.

Looks like BPL will be a major topic and from their language they feel it a done deal! Ugh.

Some of the sessions scheduled;
"BPL Standards Upate"
"The Business Opportunities of BPL"
"BPL Regualtory Update"
"Using BPL for AMR and Other Internal Utility Applications" (AMR = Automatic Meter Reading)
"Developing Relationships with BPL Business Partners"

and

"The BPL Interference Debate" ("This session will examine the technical aspects of the interference complaints and the latest in FCC and NTIA studies")

Yep, no ARRL studies, just what FCC and NTIA supposedly did.

The language, in part, introducing the BPL Symposium ;
"...........BPL is proven technology and is being commercially deployed in North America. How can BPL improve the bottom line of utility services and provide last mile access for a range of consumer services?" ......"The leading companies that are developing and deploying BPL will provide lessons learned. This Symposium will concentrate on commercialization of the technology"

I cant put my finger on it, but somehow this whole thing stinks to high heaven!