RFI

Re: [RFI] Ferrite Beads

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ferrite Beads
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:45:04 -0500
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:35:41 -0500, Ford Peterson wrote:

>Ah the rub!  Just exactly what job is it that I need done?  Do I need 30 ohms?
>60 ohms?
>300 ohms?  3K ohms?  What measurements do I need to make to determine what is
>needed?  Just exactly what is it that one is supposed to 'study' in the
>catalog?  Although
>I have not looked yet, the Fair-Rite catalog, to my knowledge, does not have a
>chart
>called "Number of split beads needed to suppress a noisy COP on a Toyota V8."
>Sorry to sound sarcastic here, but the notion of what is adequate for
>suppression is
>somewhat illusive to me.  Even a hip shot guess from somebody who has done
>this
>before would be great. 1 bead or 10 beads per COP?

Several people, myself included, who have spent MUCH time studying the
behaviour of
beads have suggested that you do the same, pointed you to the place where you
can
study them, and given you LOTS of detailed guidance. Tom, W8JI, pointed you to
an
applications note he had written, the guy from the car company gave you
specific advice.
Do you want us to engineer your problem for you?  My rate is $150/hr. I don't
know what
others charge. If you do, indeed, study that catalog and the applications notes
it contains,
you will learn a lot, and you might learn enough to solve your problem. Isn't
that what this
list, and ham radio, is all about?

73,

Jim Brown  K9YC