RFI

Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:43:31 -0600
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:34:24 -0800, Clay Curtiss  W7CE wrote:

>I spent some time at www.fair-rite.com looking at their catalog.  The larger
>toroids seem to only be available in type 43, 77, and 78 material.  Type 31
>material looks like it would be a good candidate for 160 to 6M but I only
>found it used for clamp on applications on round cable (like the one on our
>CRT monitor cables).

The #31 material is relatively new. It is available in some sizes and
configurations, but not all. The parts that W4EF and I have tested are
experimental parts, and not in the catalog yet.

>Has Fair-Rite changed their part numbering system?  Their catalog doesn't
>have part numbers like FT-240-43.  The largest toroid I could find was
>5943011101 which appears to made of type 43 material.

In the Fair-Rite part number (the "real" part number), the 43 indicates the
material, the other numbers denote the shape and size.

The FT-numbers are generated by resellers, who buy them in quantity from Fair-
Rite distributors and put their own numbers on them. AFAIK, nearly all ferrite
parts sold at retail in the ham market (in North America, at least) are made by
Fair-Rite. The "onesy-twosey" price of these parts at retail from someone like
Palomar is at least 2-3X that of buying them in 100-lots from Fair-Rite or a
Fair-Rite distributor.

Jim Brown K9YC