RFI

Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI

To: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:54:20 -0800
Hi Clay,

We use a Honda ES6500 at our Field Day site without any special
line filtering and don't have any problems with noise. That is not
to say that it doesn't generate any RFI. My experience has been
that the degree of RFI you get from a noise source like a generator
can be very site specific. If the antennas feedlines are adequately
decoupled from the antennas (e.g. horizontal antennas with proper
baluns), then the amount of pick-up may be minimal. In contrast a
vertical antenna with an inadequately decoupled feedline may
pick-up a lot of noise from the same source. I had this experience
with my Honda EU2000i generator. When I checked
at home with my horizontal antenna, I didn't hear any noise at all.
When I went portable with the generator using the exact same
radio, but using an R7000 vertical mounted to my trailer hitch of
my pickup truck instead of the horizontal antenna, the switching
noise pickup from the inverter in the Honda was S7 to S9 on 15
and 10 meters. I used a common mode filter to get rid of this:

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Portable_Operation/EU2000i_Filt
er.htm

The Honda EU2000i also generates ignition noise on 160 meters.
It was quite strong when I was using this generator in conjunction
with my short top-loaded vertical in a portable setup. NL7Y suggested
that I shield the spark-plug wire with copper braid between the ignition
coil and the engine block to get rid of it. This knocked the ignition
noise from the Honda engine down to below my local noise floor.