RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI and Hybrid vehicles - What are MFRs afraid of ?

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI and Hybrid vehicles - What are MFRs afraid of ?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 08:23:49 -0500
On Thu, 5 May 2005 08:54:47 -0400, Martin, AA6E wrote:

>The Ford Escape Hybrid in the owners manual specifically FORBIDS
>use of HAM ( they spell it out HAM ) radio equipment in the
hybrid
>vehicle.

Several thoughts.

1. On what legal grounds do they have the right to do so? You
bought it, it's yours.

2. If their warranty forbids it without having disclosed that
prior to sale, it seems to me that you ought to have legal
recourse. Of course, I'm an engineer, not a lawyer. :)

3. As I drive down the road with my HF radio active, I
occasionally pass vehicles with huge ignition noise. Almost
without exception, they are Fords. One of my friends has an FT100D
in his Ford truck-like SUV, and the ignition noise in it is AWFUL.

4. One of my friends is chief engineer at a 50 kW AM BC station,
and tells me he gets LOTS of complaints from owners of Fords that
there is so much ignition noise that they can't hear his station
in his primary coverage contour!

On the basis of #3 and #4 alone, I wouldn't touch a Ford with a
ten foot pole.

This is going from memory, but at least some US mfrs are VERY
negative on the use of ham gear in their vehicles. There is a
section of the ARRL website that lists this stuff.

Jim Brown  K9YC