RFI

Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] 115 KV Lines

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [TowerTalk] 115 KV Lines
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:41:07 -0400
I have a good friend who swears the new HV transmission
lines near his house don't affect him.

The same receiver at my house that reads S-0 on an 80 meter
dipole in the daytime reads S-7 at his house. I can watch
the S meter on my mobile rig slowly climb as I get near
those lines, but he still swears they aren't a problem. The
noise they emit is almost a white noise. It's only when damp
or very humid they make what sounds like a buzz.

I've lived several places near big lines. Starting in the
mid-60's a new 69kV line on wood poles went in about 500
feet from my house and it was a problem from day one. Then I
moved to another location and a 69kV line on steel towers
about a 1/4 mile away was a problem. In South Amherst I
fought a 345kV line about a mile away. It raised my noise
floor several dB when I listened west.

I haven't had a case yet where they weren't some problem to
me, so I just stay away from them.

Of course there are even Hams who swear BPL doesn't cause
QRM.  I should be so lucky. :-)

There never is one answer to a subjective topic, like how
bad is something. "Bad" depends on the viewpoint. I look at
it from a low band DX and Contest viewpoint, not ragchewing
with 30 over 9 buddies on SSB

73 Tom