RFI

Re: [RFI] Testing & Comparing Compact Fluorescents?

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Testing & Comparing Compact Fluorescents?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:59:29 -0700
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:42:19 -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:

>I think there may be significant differences both in CFLs
>and in the noise levels different people consider objectionable.

About a year ago, I replaced almost all of my incandescent bulbs
with Phillips Marathon CF's that I bought at Costco. I checked very
carefully for RFI, and have never heard any. The only failure I've
had in a year was one that was in a lamp that fell off a shelf, hit
the floor, and broke.

On the other hand, the conventional long tube fluorescent lamps in
my shop make a LOT of RF noise. My QTH is relatively RF quiet most
of the time, and none of the wiring here is shielded by metal
conduit, so I'd say this means that these lamps are not serious
noise generators. Of course, that could change as they age, or if
they're made in a different factory. The ones I have were made in
China.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC