RFI

Re: [RFI] Looking for ideas about yet another noise source

To: kb4t@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Looking for ideas about yet another noise source
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 02:33:05 -0500 (CDT)

I have a Grundig SW rig, but I find the HT (wideband receive w/ AM) with a
step attenuator and a small shielded loop to be more useful.  Also have a
simple coax faraday pickup for in close.

The issue is that the signal is strong but *SHORT*, think snap your
fingers short, and while it may repeat after a few seconds the long term
average is a couple times a minute or less.

If I had a second or 2 to rotate the loop...  But I don't.

I even tried connecting the loop to the main tranceiver mounted to the
desk so that I could try to plot long term averages while rotating the
loop 5 deg every 10 minutes.  Only problem, the peak reading for the pulse
varies up to 40db from pulse to pulse.

I am pretty much down to guessing likely canadates, adding enough
attenuation to lose the pulses, and then placing the loop phyically close
to suspect devices and waiting.  The only thing I do know is that it is
not in home or a reciever generated issue.  All AC power cut, still there.
2 seperate HF rigs and an HT on three seperate antennas, still there on
all three.

Even went as far as listening on one receiver/antenna, then cutting power
to that receiver and powering up another just to totally rule out the
radio gear as a source.

I keep hoping that whatever the device is it is some form of
"statekeeping" status, and that I can catch it in an active state
generating pulse trains of 10 seconds or longer so I can properly DF it.