RFI

Re: [RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI

To: Alan Robinson <robinsah@engr.orst.edu>, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI
From: Ash Thornton <thorntonash@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:32:17 -0500
Some of you had requested I update the group a I work through my
noise problem.

NStar has now added grounds to the poles that were not up to spec,
unfortunately the noise is still there.

Based on the various comments you have supplied and suggestions to
look for here when the utility returns here is the situation

1. The noise disappears when it rains or snows, sometimes completely,
other times so low it could be atmospheric.
2. Often when it is cold and dry the noise rises in the AM, fairly
regularly, one comment indicated the noise could increase with the
load on the line.
3. Nothing located with the ultrsound gear. Noise very evident with
the Radar Engineering analyzer, but NStar did not think they could
identify the source. I now have the 7 element 440MHz yagi some of you
indicated good results with. Hope to have the utility try this antenna.
4. With the 7 element yagi and an Icom R20, I hear noise at a cluster
of poles within 100 Ft or so, but not very strong. No noise once I
move away from these poles.

My question is, what level of a peak should we see at the fault vs.
the noise that is radiating up and down the line for a quarter mile
or less? The NStar tech thinks it should be a very big making the
fault totally obvious.

Thanks,

W1FQ