RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer birdies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer birdies
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:25:44 -0400
On 6/26/2012 4:56 PM, Phil wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>
>> On 6/26/2012 11:49 AM, charlie@thegallos.com wrote:
>>> I personally found, with my router and computers that the computer was the
>>> really bad end, but putting cores on both ends helped too, as there was
>>> some low level stuff coming from the router
>> Yes. Each end of a cable connected to ANY digital electronics should be
>> viewed as a potential noise source, but as several have noted, some
>> products are much noisier than others.
>>

> As a quick check/test I found some likely Ethernet RFI crud close to 50.120
> and 3.770.
>
> Shut computer down - 50.120 E'net crud stops as computer shuts off.
>
> Disconnected E'net cable from computer & router then powered computer back up
> and switched it over to it's wireless interface.
>
> 50.120 & 3770 crud still gone.
>
> With the availability of reasonably  priced wireless routers along with
> plugin wireless adapters for computer ethernet and USB ports not sure why it
> makes sense to still fuss with using wired Ethernet networks in home/shack
> and then need to install toroids, shielded cables, etc. to rid the radio of
> Ethernet RFI crud.   Maybe one short e'net cable needed between the router
> and upstream cable/DSL/etc. modem and thats it.

One problem...the wireless is too slow by far and requires more
attention to security.  Apparently more than half of personal Wi-fi
networks/connections are unsecure.

Even with a gigabit CAT6 network and 5 computers it takes hours to back
them up

Wireless networks are getting faster, but have a ways to go.

73

Roger (K8RI)