RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI with sound bites

To: Gary@ka1j.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI with sound bites
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 04:31:00 -0600
Gary,

You would need a receiver that has AM or SSB but not FM.  Airband would be a
portable receiver that has the aircraft band on it, which is 118 to 135 Mhz.
Even a portable CB walkie talk would be a great help, I had one of those which
I bought at a garage sale.  Now I use a Icom IC-T7H which has AM and covers the
aircraft band.  It works very well.  Look for old power poles, and especially
around the switches and fuses and transformers.  Also look for where the
primary power line goes into trees.  Sometimes at night you might even see
arching if you're lucky.  Using a 80 meter mobile can mislead you in all sorts
of directions, been there.  The only thing I have found with the 80 meter
mobile is street lights malfunctioning and can they ever put out the noise when
in failure mode.

I have my own noise problem, it is S-7 BZZZZZZZZZZZZ approximately every 2
minutes, 20 is worse but I hear it on all the upper bands 10 15 and 20.  I have
not looked yet, but I suspect it's on private property, perhaps something to do
with Christmas lighting, maybe…It is coming from the SSW and it's on for only
about 10 seconds which makes it even more difficult to track.

It's frustrating business.

Good luck

Dale, k9vuj

>>> KA1J