RFI

Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II

To: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:03:00 -0600
On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Interesting issue.
>
> 1.  First, I assume that you are NOT using an amp after the IC746 Pro.  Is
> that correct?

100 W.  At least at the antenna port ... never an amp.

> 2.  If you have not tried this yet, REDUCE output power to a level at which
> the RFI stops.  The difference (in dB)

Interesting idea.  I will do this and report.

> 3.  What TYPE of ferrites are you using?  Since you are on HF, common Mix 43
> is not optimum - Mix 31 would be a better choice.  Try multiple turns of the
> cable thru the ferrite choke(s) to increase the insertion impedance.

Not a clue.  They are probably 8-9 years old and, IINM, wasn't 43 more
common than 31 back then?   One of them fit two loops through because
it was after the squid had split.  The other one is just once through
because the jacket is there.  The factory choke is the same but at the
other end of the cable.

> Since you say that you had years of OK operation with a RigBlaster on that
> same ACC1 port of the radio, it would appear that the DigiKeyerII causes a
> problem to the port.  Besides a different ferrite mix, try improving the
> cable shielding or termination of the shielding (it IS a shielded cable -
> right?).

No idea.  It's not a single cable all the way to the radio - the
individual conductors for the ACC1 connection and the jacketed pairs
for CI-V and CW are all separate after the jacket ends.  I'm thinking
it's not but don't really know.

> I'd say that it is important to determine that "pain threshold".  If you are
> only a few dB away form getting rid of the RFI, then better ferrites and/or
> shielding should fix it.  If you are 10 dB, or more, away from the threshold,
> you need to revisit the RigBlaster setup and compare to see what is wrong.
> Somewhere, you are picking up too much RF and that ingress route needs to be
> suppressed.  Good luck.

When I get the chance to do this I will.  I was thinking that maybe it
was because there was an audio chip in the DK-II and that that might
have been the difference.  But the mic plugs into the RB+ and then
gets sent to the radio's mic jack, so there's audio on there, too.

Peter