RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:06:31 -0600 (CST)
I would dare to say that most complaints can be resolved without the fcc...
just the mention of the fcc can be enough to get action from utilities to grow
light owners.  a short explanation of how much interference electric fences
cause, and how much efficiency they are losing, can get them repaired or
replaced in days.  pointing out that a mast head tv preamp is defective and may
burn up, or that a door bell transformer may be arcing and ready to burn up
usually gets them shut off instantly.  showing someone that their battery
charger is using power and radiating even when it isn't charging a battery
usually gets it unplugged.  explaining how much radio frequency power something
is radiating in this day of total fear of electromagnetic fields causing all
sorts of disease can be an effective tool, people are afraid of milliwatt level
wifi and cell phone rf but don't realize their tv is radiating hundreds or
maybe thousands of times that much right in their living room!   in 3
 0 years of policing the bands around here I have yet to have to actually
contact the fcc to resolve a problem.

I bought 2 different led bulbs years ago at Dayton... Chinese generic things...
one is still in use and perfectly quiet even with a sw rx with ferrite rod
antenna right next to it... the other one got sent to the arrl lab for
dissection as it radiated all over the place, so I lost a few bucks, but maybe
the arrl got some experience with bad bulbs.

suggestion... for the neighbor with led bulbs that are noisy..  if they don't
want to return them to the store, buy them old halogen bulbs or find quiet
led's to replace them and ask for the bad ones so you can send them to a lab
for testing as they are obviously defective imports that must be reported.  a
cheap investment for years of quiet and good will from neighbors.