RFI

Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb

To: "rfi@contesting.com Reflector" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb
From: "Dale J." <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 15:38:43 -0500
I've had several modern day CFL's fail.  Just the other day one in the basement
which is on 24/7 went out.  I thought I had a bad socket as I unscrewed the
light and back in again, it started up on for a few seconds but then went out.
I changed out the CFL with another CFL, same size and it's still working.  The
CFL's that have failed have signs of overheating even though I have them in
well vented fixtures.  A couple of the failed CFL's developed loose glass, but
weren't cracked just loose.  I also dissected one too, curious what's inside.
I found an IC, some resistors and capacitors mounted on a PWB.  I have not
noticed any RF noise from any CFL and we have quite a few around the house.  I
must say it takes a couple years for them to fail and several are on all the
time.  I have two in the shack in Luxo bench lamps, well vented at the top.
They are inexpensive and I'll continue to use CFL's until something better
comes along for about the same cost.

If I recall, the mfg of one brand of CFL stated that they should be used in an
upright configuration, I take it to mean the heat will rise away from the
electronic pod below the glass. Maybe makes sense, but in my use most of the
CFL's are upside down so any heat generated from the glass will go into and
around the electronic pod base, perhaps shortening it's life, just a guess.

Dale, k9vuj