RFI

[RFI] Fair-rite Toroids verses Round Cable Suppression Cores

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Fair-rite Toroids verses Round Cable Suppression Cores
From: "Wm.Glenn Pearson" <glenn.pearson@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 13:55:07 -0500

A few years back I purchased a number of 2.40 in (O.D.) x 1.40 in. (I.D.) x
0.50 in. (W.), material 43 toroids made by Fair-rite, catalog # 5943003801.
Recently I noticed in their catalog there is a separate listing in their
Round Cable EMI Suppression Core section for what I initially thought was
the same product, but listed as #2643803802. Physical characteristics appear
to be the same except for weight. The toroid is listed as 12 grams lighter.

Tested impedance values by frequency are not given for the toroids. Instead
the following criteria is listed per item: core constant, effective path
length, effective cross-sectional area; effective core volume, and
inductance factor. The toroids are coated with Parylene C and their edges
are burnished to break sharp edges.

I am in the process of acquiring a supply of type 31 ferrites. Should I
replace my previously purchased toroids with the type 31 equivalent
(2631803802)?

Thanks,

Glenn Pearson

WU2G