RFI

Re: [RFI] ARRL Board of Directors resolution related to FCC enforcement

To: Roger (K8RI) <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL Board of Directors resolution related to FCC enforcement of radio-interference issues
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:11:54 -0500
Yes, if it's even a one percent error it is harm.  Zero tolerance for error
when lives are at stake.

Sometimes I wonder, out loud.

Dale, k9vuj

On 05, Aug 2015, at 17:54, Roger (K8RI) <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

"“Is reduced accuracy an ‘actual harm’ in your mind?” asked another attendee."

That tells all that know, that attendee has no conception of what is required
to fly on instruments, or do an instrument approach into a busy airport with
reduced separation. Look into what GPS jammers on trucks and cars near airports
have already caused. They are easy to purchase. Then there is surveying. The
list is large where ten feet would be unacceptable. IN many cases it could mean
life or death.

Reduced accuracy is likely to result in what is called a missed approach, where
the airliner has to change from the landing configuration to essentially a take
off configuration. Then they have to fly a specific  procedure to a "hold, (fly
a holding pattern until ATC can fit them back into the landing pattern.)  As
the approach to landing is essentially the busiest part of the flight with the
highest workload, it is the worst possible time and the most likely place for
ground based interference.  I'll spare you the specific steps, but this adds
considerable risk and workload in high traffic areas where none of the aircraft
know where they are with the required accuracy.   Aircraft separation must be
immediately be increased substantially.  Where do you put the suddenly excess
aircraft with no airspace for them?  IOW, it creates the likelihood of a major
disaster looking for a place to happen and over highly populated areas.
The critical point?  The pilots have to realize they are receiving inaccurate
information.  Loss of signal is easy to detect, but error where you are
required to be within 10 feet of an imaginary line, or plus 100 feet and minus
nothing farther out.

Aircraft do have backup systems, but they all depend on GPS as the only viable
and developed ground based alternative has been scrapped.  It was not just
turned off.  The towers and equipment were quickly destroyed making the entire
system an "all your eggs in one basket", single point failure, vulnerable GPS
package.  One direct hit from a class X CME would do the job and take years to
fix.

But if LightSquared wins, what will it mean for RFI to ham cases?
If the FCC, who is short on man power has "tied up" working on a project like
this, how many resources do they have available (people money, and time) for
ham problems?  As I believe  Ed said, We have to pick our battles .  We need to
provide the necessary information they need to minimize the resources the FCC
would have required to get that information.  Still that information must be
easily verifiable.

73

Roger (K8RI)

---