RFI

Re: [RFI] Polarization Tests

To: Tom Thompson <w0ivj@tomthompson.com>, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Polarization Tests
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 19:54:22 +0000 (UTC)
Interesting experiment and thank you for sharing.

1) I would note that the loop's null would be deeper if a shielded (or choked)
pickup loop were used. I could not determine from pictures the exact
construction, but have seen responses from unshielded loops before (currents on
feedlines become a factor.).

2) I worked out an E-field xmit antenna a few years back and noted response of
the ends, with unexpected nulls off the *broadside*.  A very quick backyard
test of the pattern here; listen to the audible null at broadside from the test
receiver (ignore all the noisy birds): (Also recommend playing at half speed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxxosnZo0i4

When I first constructed this oddity of nature I noticed that the usual noise
sources nulled off the *broadside*, instead of off the ends as the usual 1/2
wave dipole characteristically exhibits

de Jim WB5WPA

PS fo = 7 MHz in above test