RFI

Re: [RFI] Guidance on finding noise?

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Guidance on finding noise?
From: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 22:01:36 -0700
Just to keep this thread going . . .

In addition to all the great ideas already posted,  you might also consider:

(1) Validate the directivity of the DF loop you are using.
Generate a small signal on the band of interest and then place that signal
source 100 - 200 ft away and then DF to it.
Just to make sure the DF gear is behaving properly.  A good signal source
might be Elecraft XG-3 signal generator.
(I suggest this because I once . . . . well, er, just because.)

(2) I think part of your DF'ing was premised on signal strength on a
beverage antenna.
Be sure the beverage is isolated from the feed line (CM chokes).
(again, I suggest this because I once chased RFI off in the wrong
direction, until I placed CM chokes at my beam's feedpoint)

(3) Once you've confirmed that your DF receiver has the same offending
noise heard in the station receiver -  then disconnect all your antennas
(transmit & receive) to get them out of the equation.

(4) After all, its just physics. Right?

73, Alan K0AV