[RTTY] Question for the Experts

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Question for the Experts
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
I think the consensus is that using the dash between numeric portions of the
exchange is the "best" way to go.

The reason is that the dash is a FIGS character, whereas most TUs are set to
"unshift on space" - so when you send 599-001-001, you're basically sending

<FIGS>599-001-001<LTRS>

But if you use spaces, you are generally sending

<FIGS>599<LTRS><space><FIGS>001<LTRS><space><FIGS>001<LTRS>

This is a longer sequence to send, and thus more likely to result in one or
more missed characters and so, more likely to elicit requests for repeats
(especially by ops who can't figure out that TOO is 599 etc.

When you have mixed numbers and letters in your exchange (i.e. 599 MO MO) you
might as well use the space, as it's the most efficient way to send the
exchange.

The problem with "recommending" that it be done one way or the other is that
many ops will "tailor" the recommendation to their own liking, and you end up
with things like "599 / MO / 001" or something equally silly. A little
knowledge is a dangerous thing...

My personal preference, having been "enlightened" a while back, is to use
dashes between numeric portions and spaces everywhere else. If I send the
information multiple times on a request for repeat, it usually goes something
like "001-001-001 001-001-001" -- the space in the middle gives the other TU a
chance to get the FIGS shift again in case it got missed the first time.

73,

-Marty NW0L
 martyt@pobox.com