Re: [RTTY] Pet Peeve # 2

To: W0YR@aol.com, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Pet Peeve # 2
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:54:41 +0000
Hi, Mike

The space character 00100 could actually be decoded in several different ways if a single bit were corrupted. But the "A" character is 00011. It would take 3 corrupted bits for one to print as the other, so it is extremely unlikely a space would be printed as an "A".

OTOH, the character 00011, which prints as "A" in letters case also prints as hyphen in figures case. Your example TOOATYATOOATY shows exactly how 599-56-599-56 prints if the shift character was missed and is a good example of why we should NOT be using hyphens, as was mentioned earlier today.

The space character is the same in letters and figures shift cases.

Anybody interested in the Baudot/Murray code can see: http://www.dataip.co.uk/Reference/BaudotTable.php
You can see how a single corrupted bit can change a character, and how it might print. It also shows the LETTERS/FIGURES correspondence.

I stand by what I said earlier: I think the space is preferred to <CR> because it is a separator AND it synchronizes case on both ends if USOS is active.

One minor point: it takes TWO characters to send what we think of as a carriage return. The <CR> character is 01000 and the <LF> is 00010. Both characters have to be received 100% OK for it to work properly. Guys that have used the old mechanical machines know exactly how quickly it goes to pot if the return happens without a corresponding line feed.

Jerry W4UK