[RTTY] Contest Happenings - Comments!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Contest Happenings - Comments!
From: "Roger Cooke" <rcooke@g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:54:52 -0000
Hi.

   WOW!  I didn't expect quite the response that I got!!  I have now
read all the input to me
and would just like to respond with a precis of what was said.
Hopefully it will be useful
reading if nothing else.

1  General comments.

   Just about all the comments received agreed with mine, so I don't
feel too bad now! I realise,
of course, that the BARTG Sprint does not require a report of any
sort. It was just refreshing to
receive a genuine one that it took me by surprise. Some ops were
obviously handing out reports
anyway. The number that agreed to the abolition of the RST was 19,
just about everybody commented
in this way. The number that then said that if they did not receive an
ACK to their given report
was 17, not far from the other total either! I guess we all feel just
about the same here. Some
had a few other comments on received macros etc., and I thought that
they were all sensible
suggestions, so will just list the comments that we can all benefit
from in future contests.

1   The macro that issues the serial number is often sent thus:

241241241241  or beter  241-241-241. However, it would be better with
just a space 241 241 241
or even a cr/lf:
   This would help if the UOS did not work or QRM was bugging.

2. One station said there was no need for an ACK, he would just start
CQ-ing again. In order to
check whether he did have your serial number you have to wait until
HIS next QSO to see if the
serial number has incremented in order to count YOUR QSO. NO WAY!!!!
Why should I waste MY time
just for the sake of a TU, QSL, or RR before his is off CQ-ing again?
After the simple TU, I can
then shift freq and save time myself.   In any case, the number of
stations that said they would
not count that contact negates HIS QSo as well, so he really has not
saved any time at all!
As W7AY put it - Accuracy rather than quantity.

3.  A response to a CQ call like this  G3LDI G3LDI G3LDI G3LDI DE
VK9ZZ K.  Several commented
how useless this is! If anything it should be   G3LDI DE VK9ZZ VK9ZZ
VK9ZZ K

4   Don't repeat my serial number. The ack - QSL, TU or RR is
sufficient. The responsibility
is yours to receive it and if you have then the QSL confirms it. I
could confuse the repeat of
MY serial number as YOURS. It is surprising how often this situation
arises in a contest. In
fact it did happen to me in the Sprint this time. I received a number
( can't remember what it
was now but assume it was 137 ) and I also sent 137. He came back and
asked for a repeat and of
course I sent 137. He then said he knew that I had his number but what
was mine. I sent 137 snap
and that then confirmed!! So, please don't repeat the other stations
number, just QSL...

5   Cluster supported contacts. Well, I don't use the CLuster, I find
I have my hands full just
to keep doing what I am doing! However, for those that want to cheat
this way, the only person
they are really cheating is themselves, not much of an operator if
that is happening. I have
heard that even DX working on 80 meters happens via proxy Internet
contacts (I would rather
put "poxy" Internet actually!!)

6  Final comment. Mike VK6HD suggested that the four character grid
square be used as an
exchange, not a bad idea, but would this then become abused? I can
think how!

------------

   Some aside comments were made regarding the exchanges from
DX-peditions. I did not realise
that the report was not necessary for DXCC. The last time I read the
rules it said that a
minimum of 339 or 3-3 was required for DXCC. Times change. However, if
you abolish the RST
from a DX-pedition, what would be said? They rarely even give their
call these days. In fact
I worked the VU4 expedition and stayed on the freq to find out the
call. I gave up after 40
mins. Pity expeditions don't take a leaf out of the 3B9C expedition -
the best operated one
of all time in my opinion.

Hope I have not bored you all and look forward to seeing you in the
BARTG Spring contest.

73 de Roger G3LDI
rcooke@g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk
g3ldi@amsat.org