Re: [RTTY] RTTY Interference to Hurricane Rita Ops

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Interference to Hurricane Rita Ops
From: David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 04:08:17 +0000
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:54:18 -0500 "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
writes:
> Yes, I run RTTY and I am in the contest on 40 meters.
>
> Jim, what the heck mode are you trying to run a net on between 7047
> and 7053 Khz
> during the largest RTTY contest of the year?  I might suggest that
> you run the
> net on phone.

>From the NREN Web Site:
------------------------------------

NREN Watch Frequencies:
The primary NREN Watch Frequencies are:

20 Meters:       14050 kHz
40 Meters:       7050 kHz
If propagation conditions warrant, a 30 Meter frequency may also be
utilized:
30 Meters:       10120 kHz

In the event that a QSO is active on frequency, stations holding traffic
should minimize interference to existing communications by quickly
establishing contact and moving off frequency.  In order to facilitate
interoperability between multiple stations, adjacent channels should be
selected based on the ?rule of 3.?  That is, move up or down 3, 6, 9, or
12 kHz from the primary channel.  This same rule applies to traffic
exchange off frequency.

As NREN (and all nets) does not ?own? a particular frequency, it may be
necessary to shift your watch frequency somewhat should the primary
frequency be occupied for an extended period.  If this is the case,
select the nearest suitable frequency above or below the primary watch
frequency and transmit your QSX broadcast.  Attempt to return to the
primary frequency at the next half-hour interval.

NREN members are reminded to avoid utilizing extremely narrow CW filters.
 These filters may result in missed calls from stations that are slightly
off frequency.
------------------------------------

NREN might do a little better on 7062, or much better on 10120 or the 5
MHz band, where no contesting is allowed.

RTTY people all across the world are using extremely narrow filters, high
power, and big antennas on the low end of 40 this weekend. The RTTY
people have been preparing for this contest for months, and are not aware
of NREN operations, since they can't hear them with the typical RTTY
narrow mark/space filtering. They are also not listening to the internet
this weekend.

I think the best hope at this time is for NREN to demonstrate their
flexibility and QSY, preferably to 10120 or the 5 Mhz band. At daylight,
most of the RTTY ops will qsy to 20 meters. NREN may find 17M ideal at
that time.

I can't think of any other solutions that would work right now.

David Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA