Re: [RTTY] RTTY Interference to Hurricane Rita Ops

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Interference to Hurricane Rita Ops
From: "John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:31:43 -0500
** Both sides of this discussion have some merit. **

> I have no sympathy for fools lacking an ounce of common sense.
> To demand that the whole world give them a QRM free frequency
> ten times wider than they need just adds to the legend of the
> "Ugly American."

However, isn't it pretty "ugly" to have the attitude "I don't care if you're
trying to locate Bill's granddaughter, I need Nevada for a mult!"  Misguided
frequency choice and other planning of the nets don't give contesters the
right to simply overwhelm them and call them "fools".

I'll admit that I've been RTTY contesting in that segment in past years and
heard some CW.  Did I listen carefully to hear what they were doing or just
answer the "CQ Test" and figure the CW guys "should have known better than
to be there during an international RTTY contest?  You probably know the
answer to that.

Hopefully most RTTY hams didn't know they were causing interference.  If
someone did know what the CW ops were doing and left their auto-CQ/KW going,
I think that's wrong.

;-)   73 - John, WA9ALS