Re: [RTTY] ANARTS and BARTG contests .. the future

To: "John Barber GW4SKA" <ska@bartg.org.uk>, "Fabi va2up" <va2up@live.ca>, "Don Hill" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>, "rtty contesting rttycontesting" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ANARTS and BARTG contests .. the future
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:13:36 -0500
Hello John,

I concur with others who have expressed opinions regarding moving BARTG HF
into June. Not only is propagation better earlier in the year, but June is a
prime time in the USA for high school and college graduations, which
certainly overshadow any radio activities. The radiosport is pretty much an
"indoor" sport and I believe you will have better participation when it does
not conflict with the beginning of summer activities.

IF you and the BOD believe the contest should be moved to a different date,
you should consider the previous suggestion to swap the Sprint and HF
contest weekends. That would move BARTG HF even further into the
"hibernation" dates in the northern hemisphere.

While you are on the topic of reviewing the BARTG contests, I would like to
make another suggestion for consideration. That is the requisite that
stations use a portable designator when operating from a different call
district. For example, using KØRC when I am in MN and KØRC/9 if I operate in
Wisconsin. As you know, there is no longer any correlation of callsigns to
physical locations within the USA. A callsign designator of "6" can be
anywhere, W6AAN in Maryland for example.

I like the idea of extra multipliers for working the different numbers, but
the existing rules adds another issue for digital operators when using LoTW
for confirmations. A portable designator requires an additional LoTW
certificate request and tagging and uploading the BARTG QSOs using this
additional certificate. That's not a major problem for most digital
operators, but I profess it's an unnecessary process when considering the
current FCC callsign system. My proposal is to eliminate the geographic
designator but retain the numerical multipliers.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN