Re: [RTTY] Getting back into RTTY.

To: "Tom Horton" <k5iid@sbcglobal.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Getting back into RTTY.
From: "Terry - AB5K" <ab5k@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:28:32 -0600
Hi Tom,

First, thanks for the QSO on the 160 meter contest last weekend.

Integrating RTTY capability into your station can be broken down into high
level steps of Receiving RTTY, Transmitting RTTY and Integrating RTTY into
your favorite contesting program.

1.  Receiving RTTY - Most folks use a PC and most PC folks use MMTTY (its
free).   Download and install it.  You need to make up a cable to connect
the receive audio from the radio to your sound card.   Most radios have a
connector on the back that supplies receive audio that is independent of the
volume control on the radio.   Make a cable up and test with MMTTY.  You
should be able to receive and decode RTTY signals using MMTTY.  See MMTTY
docs for more details.

2. Transmitting RTTY - The FSK method is recommended.  You need a serial
port and you need to wire up two keying transistors off the serial port to
do the PTT on the radio and the FSK on the radio.   There are several
circuits on the web but this one is very robust:
http://www.ab5k.net/images/RttyInterface.jpg     If you do not have the
parts, I can send them to you as I have many spares to help get folks going
on RTTY.     After the keying transistors are wired you need to setup MMTTY
to use FSK.  See MMTTY docs.  After this is running you should be able to
make contacts using the MMTTY application.

3. Integrating RTTY into your favorite contesting program.  If you use N1MM
you do that on the Config>ConfigPorts menu.  See N1MM docs for more details.

Ask if you have any issues or need help.

Terry AB5K