Re: [RTTY] 2 tone vs MMTTY

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 2 tone vs MMTTY
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:55:44 -0700
Meanwhile, many of us run multiple parallel decoders to approximate this
more elegant approach.  ;>)

Ed W0YK

---------------------------------------

On Jun 11, 2014, at 9:00 PM, Ed Muns wrote:

>  OTOH, that part of the decoding algorithm is probably key to
> 2Tone's excellent copy of weak and other marginal signals.

Chen W7AY wrote:

The trade off between a "low-latency crummy decoder" and a "high-latency
better decoder" can be solved if you allow new GUI elements into your modem.

Run two demodulators.  The low-latency one prints first.  The high-latency
decoder then overprints over those characters when they become available
from the high latency decoder.  This way, your eyes do not need to switch
its focus between two windows.  Strong signals will print correctly right
away.

Variations on this theme include using two different color fonts that
produces a third color when the two decoders agree, etc.

I had discussed this technique before with G3YYD for making even longer
latency decoders tolerable (for example, ones that corrects bit clocks by
using "future" bits for pseudo-synchronous clocking).  But David is hobbled
by the existing modem user interfaces.