[TRLog] send string command

Subject: [TRLog] send string command
From: n4vi@diac.com (Chris Adams)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:40:53 -0700
Hi all...

I am trying to use the new v6.36 "send a string to radio serial
interface port" feature with my Kenwood TS-870.  It seems to work  fine
as long as I don't exit TR.  I assume that once it's been exited, TR has
to load this information from the logcfg.dat file.

On reloading TR, if I look at the programming I have done (Alt-p  then
"C" for example) I see the string I have programmed WITHOUT the
";<Control-D>" that terminated the transmission.  The logcfg.dat file is
correct, that is it contains what I programed including the
";<Control-D>".

So it appears to me that TR cannot correctly intrepret the serial string
lines when it has to load them from the logcfg.dat file.  Anyone else
encounter this or figure out a workaround besides not exiting TR after
you setup the commands?

That aside I have a few other questions regarding use of this command.

1.  Is it possible to send multiple strings with one command.  for
example:

<Ctrl-C> string1 <Ctrl-D> <Ctrl-c> string2 <Ctrl-D>  ?

Having asked the above question, I have to admit to having successfully
implemented it (until I exited TR).

2.  If you should be able to send multiple commands, does there have to
be a <Ctrl-C>, <Ctrl-D> sequence around EACH command or just surrounding
the group of commands?

One other comment....   this idea of custom serial commands is very
exciting to me.  It would be fantastic to implement it in such a way
that when you changed bands TR could configure the radio the way you
desired.  In my case on some bands I use the internal tuner and on
others I don't but the radio doesn't remember.  If that could be
programmed in TR I would consider that way cool!

Thanks for anyone's help.

73's

chris, n4vi

P.S.  If you really do have a workaround for this, e-mail me directly (
I only receive the daily summaries) ASAP as I would love to have it
before NAQP starts (yea, I know I'm dreaming for this one!)