[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)
From: LogWindows@aol.com (LogWindows@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:09:02 EDT
To do CW flawlessly in the Win32 environment would require a vxd, kernel mode
or WDM level device driver (depending on the O/S, since all flavors of
Windows dont use the same device driver model). This code  would run at Ring
0 of the processor, where it would be able to preempts the O/S at the
processor level and provide real time CW.

Good device driver coders want about $60,000 to $80,000 a year.

VB, Delphi, etc cannot be used to write Ring 0 device drivers, way to slow
with too much overhead. Just plain good old asm should be used for the device
driver, as at that level, cpu cycles count and you need to have the code as
small and optimized as possible.

I wouldn't even do the driver in C++.. Just asm.

Rick - W4PC

In a message dated 10/15/2001 2:38:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk writes:

> Ultimately the way to go
>  for solid CW in all situations of course is the hardware route, and e.g.
the