Re: [Trlog] TR4W

To: "'k0dq'" <k0dq@analog.org>, "'Tod -MN'" <tod@k0to.us>, <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] TR4W
From: "Bob Wolbert, K6XX" <k6xx@ihwy.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:21:00 -0700
Gentlemen,

TR4W is working well for me, and has been used exclusively here for about 18
months. Well enough that we will use it at WRTC in a couple of weeks.

At home, Alt-R functionality works normally with a relatively modern Core-2
duo PC (2008 Lenovo desktop with an honest parallel port) and the older WX0B
SO2R box (similar to the DXD). Using a laptop without a parallel port, the
WinKey thing can simulate the second radio switching to a certain extent.
USB-serial converters also will do much of the job; you may key the rig
through the same port as you use to control it, with TR4W automatically
directing PTT and keying to the proper rig.

I do see some issues with this USB-serial port keying in TR4W, especially if
I'm running something that bogs down the processor like HamCAP (propagation
display program) when it updates at the top of the hour. Keying stutters
slightly during these updates, with the stutter severity dependant upon PC
processor. A 1.6GHz "dual core" stutters badly, while the 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo
(a much faster processor family, independent of clock speed) hardly notices
the loading. With the parallel port keying, I have never heard stutter.
Using the WinKey, you will never hear any stutter.

Scott, I imagine your Russian is a heck of a lot better than mine--or at
least you have the resources to accurately translate the technical documents
available on the TR4W Russian-language "Wiki". Look at what Dmitriy has done
with the serial port. He has implemented external hardware and code to
emulate much  (all??) of the functionality previously available on the
parallel port. Paddle input, for example... but last time I tried it, the
paddle was non-iambic. Hopefully, the radio control bit is also available
now on a serial port.

Alt-D functionality also works, and in fact has been improved from that in
TR (DOS) in several ways. Preeminent among the improvements, IMHO, is the
way it will automatically load a callsign into the second rig window if that
call is in the bandmap. But there are some operational differences between
TR4W and TR that you must learn. The most bothersome is the difference in
functionality when you don't get the second rig Q on the first call. On the
second call, it sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't.  TR has the same
issue, but with a different threshold. I haven't figured out either one!

73 de Bob, K6XX