[TenTec] 540 vs. 544 Triton

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 540 vs. 544 Triton
From: laflamme@ncia.net (Larry L. Laflamme)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 19:51:52 -0500 (EST)

>Would appreciate comments on whether to spend an extra $100.00 for a
>544 over the 540.
>Is the digital readout the only difference between these two rigs?

Additionally, the 544 has a "spot" control in place of the calibrator on the
540, and could be useful on CW. It is not "cost effective" to install "spot"
on a 540 according to Ten Tec.

The digital readout for a 540, Model 240,  will run you about $100. So if
you want digital, for the same price you would get the spot and a little
more space on your desk with the 544.

If you decide to get the 540, which I did, just make sure you ALWAYS refer
to it as a Triton IV, and when they ask, that's the silver one!

Good choice, either one; mine's over 20 years old; still gets great reports.
73
Larry, N1SHM