[TenTec] Jupiter- How easy to operate?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter- How easy to operate?
From: w8keb@1st.net (Ken & Linda Burrough)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:36:17 -0500
Hi All

I received my new Jupiter at noon on Monday.  I had it on the air and made
the first contact at 15:00 local.  I had quickly read the manual and started
operating.  After the first contact I re-read the manual and started
changing the menu items. I then made a cw contact with W7ELH in Clearwater,
Id.  Now my QTH is 20 miles west of Wheeling, Wv.  along Interstate 70 and
the ELH contact was great for me on 40 meters.

I am going to copy and paste some items from the posting on the reflector
this morning.

>The Jupiter is an intriguing rig. The trait that I am most interested in is
ease of use. How intuitive is it to operate? I really don't care for radios
with tons of menus, cryptic buttons, and non-intuitive procedures to work
them.

Tracy the Jupiter is very easy to master.  Compared to my Omni VI Plus,
which I thought was easy to master, the Jupiter is 100 times easier.  After
a day with the Jupiter you should have no trouble.

>I think that I am missing a very basic point here:

Why would anyone spend over a thousand bucks for a radio and then not be
willing to spend the time that it takes to absorb the contents of an
instruction manual that tells how to operate it?

Which is more important for a radio: doing the job it is intended to do,
and do it well, or being easy to operate? Why?

George the Jupiter is the only radio I have owned or operated that after one
day I did not need the manual.  For me I demand both, doing the job it is
intended to do and being easy to operate.  The Jupiter does both very well.

One menu item that needs to be set for the operator this HIGH BOOST.
Factory default is 100%, but if you do not have an high frequency hearing
loss this item should be adjusted.  I set mine at 0%.  For me the speaker
audio was just great at this setting.

All said, Ten-Tec accomplished their design goal--high performance and easy
of operating.  Thanks Ten-Tec.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio
EX: KA2HJY, N6EVC, KC0WN and NE0C