[TenTec] re: Reciever comparison chart on website

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] re: Reciever comparison chart on website
From: knoxm@scioto.net (Mike Knox - KC8WR)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:25:41 -0500
Barry & All,

I have both the K2 and an Omni VI Option 3 Upgrade.  Although I can not get
on 160.....a real postage stamp lot, I have used them side by side on
everything else.  80 thru 10 and as much as I like the Omni VI I must admit
that I have heard and worked everything on the K2 that I have heard on the
Omni VI.  Although, in a couple of instances it took longer at the reduced
power of the K2 and it didn't include much DX work.  Don't take this the
wrong way, cause I wouldn't sell my Omni VI for anything.

It took me 32 hours to build the basic K2, after that the other options
don't really take long and I really didn't time the assembly.  (and yes it
worked right from the start).  Someone else has already said it, but I did
not and will not consider my time as part of the cost.  I did it for the fun
of it and I bought mine in November (1999)....you know, cold, snow and
winter weather OUTSIDE!  Definitely need something warm, cozy...to do
INSIDE!

I honestly believe, just about anyone could build one and get it working as
long AS THEY PAY ATTENTION to what they are doing.  I have also built  the
TenTec 2 meter rig, 2 meter xvert, 6 meter xvert, dual wattmeter and 1330
QRP rigs as well as 3 - 705 kit microphones.....all for the fun of it and
yes, to learn something.

The best part of the experience of building the K2, learning that someone
else is paying attention to the way TenTec does business.  The people at
Elecraft remind me of TenTec and their great service.

The K2 goes way beyond being just a QRP radio....check features of that
little radio....keyer, memory keyer, etc, etc......

But, it is not an Omni VI  They are two very different radios, designed for
two very different ways to operate, you all know that, I'm sure.  Neither
will ever replace the other....and best of all, we now have 2 companies in
the US offering top of the line equipment and top of the line service.

I'm just glad I was smart enough to buy my equipment and kits from TenTec
and Elecraft.

Mike - KC8WR
K2 s/n 699 w/all the available options
                         +
TenTec equipment everywhere!  It really doesn't get any better than this!