[TenTec] Radio Manufacturing Economics Vs Technology (long)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Radio Manufacturing Economics Vs Technology (long)
From: w9wis@charter.net (Mike Melland)
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:26:19 -0500
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:50:37 -0800 (PST)
 Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I&#8217;ve seen several references in various places about
> how light weight and empty the newer Tec Tec radio
> boxes are.

I agree...light weight and roomy don't mean "bad".  For
instance... the Racal RA6790/GM military/government HF
receiver.  These babies are amazing receivers.  They cost
well over $10,000 each to the Gov't (inflated...yes) when
the last one was delivered in 1994 (actually the LF/VLF/HF
version was $21,000).  They weigh 32 lbs, are as roomy
inside as a Montana open range having been built in "board"
style like the Ten-Tec Omni series and other Ten-Tec rigs.
They are beautiful receivers (I own one).  A consideration
in building them was whether to make them a small half rack
size... or a full rack size (5.25" tall, 19" wide, 18.5"
deep).  They would fit in a very small package easily
however many ships/aircraft (and several civilian contracts
like ATT and including the shhhh ! NSA) would use these
receivers in the rack space of the old R-390A's etc they
were replacing... so the were built to fit existing rack
space. Ther radios sure could have been built much smaller
but existing conditions drove the specs. Personaly I like
all that room... with my fat fingers it makes service oh so
much simpler <grin>.

Mike, W9WIS