[TenTec] Jupiter frequency jump - Another view on product concept

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter frequency jump - Another view on product concept
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 06:47:09 -0600
Good account, Bob. Been there and done that to a large extent . . . didn't
get the t-shirt, though!   <:}

The most compelling evidence of your presentation is a comparison between
the Pegasus and the Kachina 505DSP. The 505 sold for around $2200 - the Peg
for about $900. The 505 was built like a high-end computer with super
shielding throughout, etc. The Peg placed a couple of circuit board in a
box, ran wires everywhere and concentrated on firmware. The Peg was
designed from the get-go to meet a hard and fast price point in the market.
Its performance comes comfortably close to that of the 505 although its
tolerance to r-f , etc. leaves a bit to be desired, as some have reported.
The 505 is absolutely RFI bulletproof.

Bottom line: the Peg is "good enough" for most ham purposes, performs
adequately, offers many of the advantages of a DSP-based radio and sells
for a very attractive price. Thanks to after-market software development,
the Peg has become more fully featured and more convenient to operate. The
505 has died a natural death for several reasons, the chief of which was
that it was released for production before all its essential features had
been implemented, and as a sub-set of the final design, it could not
compete with the Peg on price in the marketplace. Plus, its superior
construction and much more elaborate circuitry cost more than the market
could bear as a final sales price for a non-conventional radio.

Interesting stuff, Bob . . . thanks for your insight.

72/73, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe SOC 262
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437