[TenTec] Jupiter frequency jump?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter frequency jump?
From: wmeahan@wa8tzg.org (Bill Meahan)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:20:34 -0500
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 23:31:51 -0500
"j" <justo@maplenet.net> wrote:

[eloquent reply snipped for brevity]

This is, of course, the dilemma every manufacturer faces: how much cost
can be passed on to the customer without causing the customer to go
elsewhere because they perceive the price to have become "too high"
compared to alternatives. Further complicating the mix is the issue of
what price level will not cause existing customers to go elsewhere but
will nevertheless reduce the number of new customers the company might
get. Raising the price of an Omni to, say $2600 might not deter loyal
Ten-Tec customers but might give new customers a reason to go with a
Yaecomwood instead of an Omni.

I'm neither defending nor condemning Ten-Tec for their decisions
regarding what is and isn't in the Jupiter (or Pegasus or Omni or ....).
Each and every decision has to be decided on its own merits and the
decision-making process is not an exact science. Sometimes a
manufacturer guesses wrong and has to make a running change to maintain
or enhance customer satisfaction and/or loyalty despite making a dent in
the profits. That's all part of being in business and no manufacturer is
pefect.

What I _hope_ I've done is to educate the list about how really
complicated it is to decide what to put in or leave out of any
manufactured product.

73 to all!

--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG         wmeahan@wa8tzg.org
"Always do right. This will gratify some people