For cryin' out loud... Re: [TenTec] Powermite Users Group?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: For cryin' out loud... Re: [TenTec] Powermite Users Group?
From: scott@wowpage.com (Scott Johnson)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 17:54:44 -0500
At 11:55 PM 12/3/2002 -0500, Paul Valko wrote:
>It is totally ridiculous for such a small group of aficionados (Ten*Tec
>fans) to split off into these little Balkanized sub-groups.  It is insanity
>and will be self destructive in the long run.  We have a few HUNDRED people
>on the ENTIRE Ten*Tec reflector.  The Yaesu FT-817 has well over THREE
>THOUSAND subscribers.

Ridiculous?  Balkanized?  Insane?  Sorry, I don't see any of those being a
part of the suggestion.  The guys just wanted to start a group where they
could talk about Powermite stuff with a low noise floor.  The discussion
here has been primarily Omni, Orion, Pegasus, Jupiter, and Argo V, with a
few Scout-related messages sprinkled throughout.  Seems justified to me.

Someone creating another group has NO effect on this one (in case you
hadn't checked, there is no law requiring people to join only ONE mailing
list.)  In fact, there is no negative effect at all from it, on
anyone.  I'm at a loss to understand why so many people feel the need to
object.

If I hear a song on broadcast radio that I don't like, I can change the
station, or I can turn it off.  You have those same options.

By the way, is there some particular advantage to the Yaesu 817 list having
so many subscribers?  If so, I sure don't see it.  The radio is the radio,
regardless of how many hams are on a mailing list named after it.  The only
consequence I can see of higher membership is higher traffic and a higher
noise floor.

>This is the TenTec reflector and discussions of ANY Ten*Tec product should
>(for the good of everyone) remain here.

Ah, now I understand.  It's just simple elitism.  WE have the REAL T-T
reflector, no one comes unto the savior but by us.  This is a classic
example of what happens when people begin to take things (and themselves)
too seriously.  It's a mailing list, not a religion.  Chances are that
anything on that list would have been crossposted here anyway -- until so
many people acted like jerks that it became a hostile environment.

Want those THREE THOUSAND SUBSCRIBERS that the Yaesu FT-817 list has?  I'll
bet you won't get them by being inhospitable, by shooting down others'
ideas, and by making this list a warzone rather than a comfortable place
for like-minded hams to hang out.

I don't even own a Powermite, nor am I a member of any of the so-called
"splinter groups" other than the Jupiter538 list.  I just couldn't let this
one go by without speaking up -- as you say -- (for the good of everyone).

      Scott KD4DCY

--
Scott Johnson (scott@wowpage.com)
ICQ: 30730876 ICBM: N33 45 50.6 W84 49 31.3 (+- 3dB)