[TenTec] Orion and T5X Weak Siganl

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion and T5X Weak Siganl
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat Jun 21 16:08:59 2003
Hi,

For about 40 minutes this morning,  I have tried
to get T5X to hear my 70 watts or so into my
80 meter doublet,  fed on 10116 using my Matchbox
tuner,  hi.  Not to use an amp on 30 m.  I tried with the
full 100 watts out from the Orion,  but my 961 PS
tripped out.  I panicked for a moment thinking the Orion
had died,  was about to locate its' fuse, when I noticed
the light out on the PS,  hi.  Got the vswr low with the
matchbox,  but maybe not low enough, hi.  So cut
the power back to 70w.

I could hear/copy him with the Orion on prog. AGC;
he was about 419!  He was also fast;  but no response
ever came to my feeble signal.  I was pleased to hear
him however.

I had a chance to fool around with the NR and BW controls
while listening to him.  Sure enough,  Earl is correct, a
high NR number did reduce the band noise,  but also
the signal level if the BW was below 500.

BTW,  he was on 10114,  wrkng up 2.

He is now either QRT, QSY or the band has died as now,
at 2000Z,  I hear nothing on his frequency.  Was nearly mid
morning here,  and 10 was fading fast;  was about 9
or 10 pm in his part of Africa,  or we are 12 hours apart.

Anyway,  a timely weak CW signal experiment.

73, Jim  KH7M