Fw: [TenTec] Omni C on 17m

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [TenTec] Omni C on 17m
From: N4NT_Mike.Hyder@charter.net (Mike Hyder --N4NT--)
Date: Mon Aug 18 22:59:32 2003
Sorry that the below message is ambiguous.  It is on 17 meters that my
Omni-C puts out a couple of watts of garbage KEY UP.  I have never had any
trouble with that rig on any other band.

When the Omni-C was sold, I think the only WARC band authorized was the 30
meter band but we did know what the other two bands would be.  So the Omni-C
shipped without crystals for the bands we were not authorized to use at the
time.  Later, when people started using them on 17 meters, we became aware
of the trouble.  I became aware of it when I saw the wattmeter moving even
though the rig was supposedly receiving.  Later, listening to that
transmitter with a separate receiver, I could hear many spurs.  Some were
stronger than others but there were at least two very strong ones.  They
were not on the frequency I was tuned to and they varied in frequency more
than the variation on the display as I changed frequency.

Sorry for any confusion.

73, Mike N4NT